Church of Santi Gervasio e Protasio

Itinerari nel Rojale

The Church of Saints Gervasio and Protasio stands prominently in an elevated position in the southwest countryside of Qualso. It dates back to the 13th century and has always been known as "la glesute," even in the oldest documents.

The location where the little church is built is picturesque, especially after Gastone Valente, a fellow citizen and partisan Enea of the Osoppo, who died in Porzus, wanted to embellish the place by planting beautiful cypress trees around the church. These trees now tower over the surrounding countryside, leaving a memory of a generous man who made a will, directing that half of his estate be allocated to the poor of the city of Udine.

The main facade is preceded by a square portico, illuminated by two side openings and a central rounded window. A dentilated terracotta cornice below the eaves line surrounds the church, except for the front.

A rectangular window is present on the facade, while on the southern side, there are two rectangular windows.The roof has a double-pitched structure with primary and secondary wooden elements and exposed brick tiles.

The church was restored in 1723, and during that renovation, the portal was also reconstructed, bearing the aforementioned date on the lintel.

The church has a single-nave plan, while the square presbytery is narrower, raised by a step and features a pointed arch triumphal arch, a cross-vaulted ceiling, and a rounded arch window on the right side.

On the left wall of the church, traces of a beautiful fresco were discovered after the damage caused by the earthquake of '76. It depicts a Madonna with child between Saints Gervasio and Protasio, and it bears the inscription "1551 Jacobus fecit." However, the name refers to the commissioner of the work, and the author of the fresco is unfortunately unknown. Some attribute it to Gian Paolo Thanner, who is known to have created frescoes in many churches in this area. The damages suffered make it challenging to easily identify the author's hand.

The wooden altar ancona was carved in 1549 by the sculptor and gilder Sebastiano Martini, while the altarpiece painted by Sebastiano Valentinis in 1971 has been stolen.